[ENLIGHT] Call for "Scientific Research Networks" supporting research collaboration between Ghent University the ENLIGHT partners. DEADLINE September 30, 2022
Call for Scientific Research Networks to support research collaboration between Ghent University and the other ENLIGHT partners.
In the framework of this call, Ghent University intends to support the coordination of “ENLIGHT Scientific Research Networks” among ENLIGHT partners, in accordance with the research mission of ENLIGHT. The aim is to stimulate Ghent University professors to set up an international network of researchers across the ENLIGHT network that encourages national and international research cooperation. At least 3 other ENLIGHT universities must be involved in such a network.
These virtual research groups are set up by a Ghent University coordinator to intensify the coordination and collaboration of research initiatives at international level within one of the ENLIGHT flagship areas. Through these networks the participants strive for complementarity and multi-, inter- and/or transdisciplinarity. The budget of an “ENLIGHT Scientific Research Network” should be spent on initiatives looking for the development of opportunities for close(r) research collaboration between members of the network. Through the “ENLIGHT Scientific Research Networks” the research performed by individual researchers as well as by participating research groups departments will be brought into a broader perspective.
At the end of the funding period (i.e. 30 April 2024), the ENLIGHT Scientific Research Network must have submitted at least 2 research proposals to a regional, national or international funding agency (of which minimum 1 proposal includes an application in the framework of the Horizon Europe calls). These proposals should be entered by a consortium containing promoters of at least Ghent University and minimum 2 other ENLIGHT partner universities that are involved in the ENLIGHT Scientific Research Network.
Only professorial staff of Ghent University can apply. The call is open to proposals from any disciplinary field. Proposals must contribute to the research mission of ENLIGHT, and hence focus on the development of new joint research initiatives between Ghent University and other ENLIGHT partners. The planned research initiatives should correspond to major societal challenges and priorities and focus on 1 of the 5 ENLIGHT flagship domains :
- health and well-being
- climate change
- energy and circular economy
- digital revolution
The present call is targeted at the development stage of joint research activities, i.e. at least the initiation, design and/or development of one (or more) joint research proposals to be submitted to regional, national or international funding agencies including the Horizon Europe framework programme. The costs of the implementation of such activities covered in the framework of the present call are related to:
- the organization of information-gathering activities (symposia, guest lectures, workshops,…) and research coordination meetings set up at Ghent University with focus on the development of joint research activities within the ENLIGHT Scientific Research Network;
- travel and accommodation expenses of incoming speakers to these activities;
- travel and accommodation expenses of Ghent University staff (including PhD students), in charge of carrying out information-gathering activities at research groups of ENLIGHT universities that are partner in the network;
- secretarial costs for organizing information-gathering activities and research coordination meetings at Ghent University;
- costs related to the design and writing of research proposals (personnel cost, consultancy, …).
A financial commitment (co-funding) of the other ENLIGHT partners is not required (but is recommended to enable reciprocity among the consortium partners).
Travelling in the framework of a network activity must be in line with the Ghent University sustainable travel policy.
The call is open until 30 September 2022. All activities need to be finished and paid for by the end of April 2024.
The funding amounts to € 80,000. The Ghent University main applicant of the ENLIGHT Scientific Research Network will be considered as the coordinator and will become the budget holder. The funding period is limited: expenses must be made before the end of April 2024.
Provisions are made to finance 5 ENLIGHT Scientific Research Networks, each focussing on a different ENLIGHT flagship domain. Henceforward, applying networks will need to clarify on which of the 5 ENLIGHT flagship areas they focus
The selection of proposals will be based on following criteria:
- Accordance with the overall ENLIGHT objectives
- Innovative character
- Role of all co-applicants in the ENLIGHT Scientific Research Network
- Involvement of the Regional Academies (i.e. focus on quadruple helix)
The selection commission will consist of the director of research, the head of Research Coordination Office, and the Ghent University ENLIGHT RISE project manager. The Council for Internationalisation will formally allocate the financial means.
How to apply?
Applications are made on the basis of the designated form and must be sent electronically as a PDF document to email@example.com by the main applicant with all co-applicants from both Ghent University and the other participating ENLIGHT universities in CC:. By doing so, no individual signatures are needed. An email confirming the receipt of the application will be sent within a week after receiving the application.
The document should be be named as follows: “surname_MainApplicant_Name_MainApllicant_ENLIGHT-RISE-application”.
Send the annexes (if any) as separate PDF-files.
Deadline for application: 30 September 2022, EOB
Within one month after the end of the funded period of the ENLIGHT Scientific Research Network (i.e. 31 May, 2024) a report (max. 5 A4), signed by the Ghent University coordinator of the network has to be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. This report contains 3 parts:
- A description of the information-gathering activities (symposia, guest lectures, workshops,…) and research coordination meetings that were organized including the aim and focus of each activity;
- A list of initiated joint research proposals (min. 2) that have been submitted (or are in the process of being submitted) to regional, national or international funding agencies including at least 1 proposal submitted in the framework of the Horizon Europe framework programme with an indication of the outcome of the submission (granted, rejected, still in evaluation, …);
- An overview of the expenditures.
For more information please see the ENLIGHT website section on funding or contact email@example.com.