(Re)search tips collects practical information, often spread around or only present in the heads of colleagues. It’s a broad spectrum of information, ranging from very basic principles to more advanced tips.
The platform is a practical supplement to the UGent portal where you can still find the broader policy context.
For now the platform is only available within the UGent network. Researchers, teachers and administrative staff, as well as students can use it. (Re)search tips helps you with:
- Search and find information, whatever the form (including research data)
- Management and interpretation of information
- Writing, presenting and publishing of research results
- Open science, scientific integrity, requirements of research funds
At the moment the platform mainly deals with subjects and themes collected by the University Library, the network of UGent libraries. Increasingly other (central) services will contribute information. After all, what you see now, is merely a first version. New tips and updates will be added constantly to ensure up-to-date information. Do you have a suggestion or a question to be added, pass it on via your faculty library or email@example.com.
How does the platform work?
By default you search all tips. If you select a theme (blue tile) than you will only get results on that theme. Every tip is part of at least one theme and at least one keyword (tag) is assigned to every tip. Both the theme(s) and the keyword(s) are indicated underneath the tip and are clickable to get an overview of the tips in that theme / with that keyword.
Both Dutch and English tips will be shown in the result list for not all tips are available in Dutch and English. However, the tips in the chosen language are shown on top of the result list.
The tips are divided in 7 themes (some more thoroughly worked out than others at the moment).
- Search & find, on searching and finding (qualitative) scholarly information
- Critical reading, on evaluating information and information sources
- Write, on quoting, managing information, copyright
- Present, on making posters, presentations and speaking for an audience
- Publish, on open access, copyright, citation styles, quality of journals
- Integrity in research, on integrity and ethics
- Finance / funding, on funder’s requirements such as the Open Research Data pilot in H2020