GISMO: Research Explorer
GISMO is the Ghent University research information system. This system supports two aims: (1) database of all research related information (researchers with their career details and expertise, projects, publications and other types of output, research activities, equipment etc.) and (2) support/streamlining research related workflows (application and management of research proposals, registration and management of research output and activities, reporting etc.).
Since January 2021, GISMO also forms the basis of a portal on Ghent University research, the Research Explorer - accessible via http://research.ugent.be. Through this portal, internal and external interested parties can search for researchers at Ghent University, their expertise and output.
This is a first version. As GISMO gathers more and higher quality data, the portal will be expanded with new information.
What does the research explorer show?
- The explorer shows a profile page for (historical and current) researchers. People are shown as 'researchers' when they are linked to at least one project or publication. If you feel that you have been erroneously included or omitted you are always welcome to contact the GISMO helpdesk.
- The profile page contains basic info about research (expertise, research disciplines, link to bibliography and ORCID), affiliations with department and SVO (cf. supra) and minimal contact details (email and phone number).
- The explorer uses your preferred name.
- Editing your phone number: via Apollo
- At the level of a person, the Activities tab is only displayed to the extent that activities have been entered via GISMO. Awards/distinctions have not yet been included in this version.
- In the future it will be possible to add other online profiles (Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Scholar).
- Your affiliation with the formal organisational chart of Ghent University, ie. departments (or offices).
- The members tab for collaborative research units (SVOs) shows only the co-ordinator and additional co-ordinator.
- Only projects are shown that are present in the GISMO database, that have not been characterised as 'secret' and of which certain parts of the metadata are complete (i.e. the same projects that are also shown by the FRIS portal). This also means that 'external' projects are not shown since these have not yet been added to GISMO.
- The overview of publications within the framework of a specific project can only be shown if Biblio links publications to this project.
- Are their members missing in the Research team? Send a message to GISMO helpdesk so we can add them for you (this functionality will become available later).
What extensions are still planned?
- Entities such as Research Infrastructure, Datasets, Awards, ...
- Specific templates for certain project types (H2020, EFRO, INTERREG)
- Possibility of adding downloadable CV, other online profiles, awards/distinctions on profile page
- Grouped overviews of project and organisation types (e.g. ERC grantees, IDConsortia, IOF Business Development Centres, Methalusalem grantees, ...).
- Research news and impact stories
Comments on the content of the Research Explorer can be submitted via the contact form.
Last modified Aug. 19, 2021, 10:01 a.m.