Web of Science (WoS): introduction
Web of Science (WoS) is a portal of several scholarly databases. Ghent University has access to:
- Science Citation Index (SCI)
- Social Science Citation Index (SSCI)
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (AHCI)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Science (CPCI-S)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Social Science & Humanities (CPCI-SSH)
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI)
WoS offers multiple functionalities allowing you to:
- search for, analyse and export information
- evaluate the quality of research
- identify experts, peers and partners
Where to find WoS?
- Once connected, go to https://lib.ugent.be/en/databases
- Click on Web of Science.
How to gain quick access to an article?
Compose a search question in WoS
Click on “SFX” below the article information to find the full text
Depending on the services attached to the article, where it is published and how you can access it, the “SFX” screen will look different.
The video below is an excerpt from a tutorial and walks you through some of the basic features, such as:
- How do I access Web of Science (0:00-0:55)?
- How do I search for A1-publications only (0:56-1:18)?
- How do I use basic search in Web of Science (1:19-1:58)?
- How do I sort and filter my search results (1:59-2:50)?
- How do I access the full text of an online and a print article (3:18-3:50)?
- How can I find more keywords(4:00-5:09)? (e.g. Author Keywords and KeyWords Plus)
- How can I find more articles based on one search result (5:10-6:00)?
(You might need to log in to your Microsoft Stream account to view the video.)
Some links to further information
Last modified Sept. 14, 2021, 4:41 p.m.