Web of Science (WoS): introduction
Web of Science (WoS) is a portal of several scholarly databases. Ghent University has access to:
- Science Citation Index (SCI)
- Social Science Citation Index (SSCI)
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (AHCI)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Science (CPCI-S)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Social Science & Humanities (CPCI-SSH)
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI)
WoS offers multiple functionalities allowing you to:
- search for, analyse and export information
- evaluate the quality of research
- identify experts, peers and partners
Where to find WoS?
You can only access WoS if your are working within UGent-netwerk.
- Once connected, go to the catalogue > Databases
- Click on Web of Science.
How to gain quick access to an article?
Compose a search question in WoS
Click on “SFX” below the article information to find the full text
Depending on the services attached to the article, where it is published and how you can access it, the “SFX” screen will look different.
The video below is an excerpt from a tutorial and walks you through some of the basic features, such as:
- How do I access Web of Science (0:00-0:55)?
- How do I search for A1-publications only (0:56-1:18)?
- How do I use basic search in Web of Science (1:19-1:58)?
- How do I sort and filter my search results (1:59-2:50)?
- How do I access the full text of an online and a print article (3:18-3:50)?
- How can I find more keywords(4:00-5:09)? (e.g. Author Keywords and KeyWords Plus)
- How can I find more articles based on one search result (5:10-6:00)?
(You might need to log in to your Microsoft Stream account to view the video.)
Some links to further information
- Recordings of the webinars of May 2020:
- recording and presentation of "Confident searching starts in Web of Science" on May 13, 2020 (EN)
- recording and presentation of "Delivering world class Author data: Author Identities" on May 19, 2020 (EN)
- recodring and presentation of "Delivering high quality analytics for better decisions and better outcomes" on May 20, 2020 (EN)
- recording and presentation of the WoS training session Febr. 14, 2017
- comprehensive training materials by Web of Science
- information file Kenniscentrum voor Gezondheidszorg Gent
- Bronnen: informatie zoeken en vinden (Search / find)
- E-books (Search / find)
- Resources: helpful tools to find literature (Search / find)
- Resources: search and find information (Search / find)
- Web of Science: how to find the impact factor and ranking of a journal? (Search / find)
- Web of Science: what is My Research Assistant (app) and how do I use it? (Search / find)
Last modified Sept. 19, 2022, 4:15 p.m.