There are so many types of reference software out there that it is sometimes difficult to make an informed decision about which software fits your needs best. In this research tip, we explore two populair options: EndNote (Clarivate) and Mendeley (Elsevier).
What is reference software?
You use reference software …
EndNote: how can I add and delete references?
Once you have uploaded all your references into your EndNote library, you can delete duplicate references and add references manually. You can also edit them manually or automatically.
Read this tip to learn about importing references from databases.
Add a reference manually:
- Open Athena and EndNote.
- Click …
EndNote: how can I update or edit references?
To mannually edit a reference, simply select the reference and edit in the right-hand column.
In EndNote, you can also update references in bulk.
- Select the references you want to update.
- Right-click on the references and click "Find Reference Updates" OR click "References" > "Find Refence Updates"
EndNote: how can you add PDFs?
Add PDFs atuomatically
- Open Athena and then EndNote 20.
- Select the references to which you want to add a PDF.
- Click "References" > "Find full text" > "Find full text".
- EndNote will now look for PDFs Ghent University has electronic access to and add them.
Add PDFs manually
EndNote: how can you cite while you write?
Advantages to cite while you write
- You don't forget to cite sources.
- You put the footnotes in the right places.
- You save time looking for the right source after writing your article.
- You can automatically update references.
- You can adjust reference styles easily.
Insert a footnote
EndNote: how can you import references?
You can import references into EndNote from many different databases. In the clips below, we explain how to import references from the four most commonly used ones: the library's catalogue, Web of Science, Scopus, and Google Scholar.
Library catalogue: lib.ugent.be
(You might need to log in to your Microsoft …
It is possible to add the same (filled out) field to multiple references at the same time. This is a handy feature when you want to add the name of database your references come from or if you want to add tags like "read," "to read," etc.
Before you do …
EndNote: how do you share your library?
You can share (parts of) your EndNote desktop library with up to 99 colleagues or peers.
Back up your library
Make an online EndNote account
- Make an online EndNote account by registering here
- Use your UGent e-mail account so EndNote recognises …
You can create groups in EndNote to structure your citations. There are three different groups:
- a Group: you can add citations manually
- a Smart Group: citations are added automatically
- a Group Set: a cluster of (Smart) groups
If you want to create a group to which you can add …
EndNote: how to create a library
1. Open EndNote via Athena
If you've never used Athena on this device before, install the Citrix client: https://helpdesk.ugent.be/athena/en/ica.php
2. Click in EndNote on File > New
3. Save the library on your H:Drive, preferably in a separate folder
An .enl file and a .data file are …
You can import up to 500 references at the same time from Web of Science into your EndNote library.
To do this, enter your search query > click "Export" > click "EndNote desktop"
You will see a pop-up where you can enter the amount of references you want to import. …
You can back up your EndNote library by making a Compressed Library.
When you incorporate your EndNote library (.enl file) and your associated data folder (.data file), you create a Compressed Library. It is a smaller file than the .enl file and .data file combined and can be easily stored …
You can personalise the fields in EndNote in two different ways.
You can choose which reference type is your preferred default, e.g: Journal Article. You can also choose which fields a certain reference type needs.
- Open EndNote via Athena
- Click Edit > Preferences, click on the tab "Reference …
"Traveling Library" refers to the citations that are embedded in a Word document. You can:
- Send the Traveling Library to your publisher, alongside your manuscript
- Export the Traveling Library from a Word document of a colleague
Export a Traveling Library
- Go to Word via Athena
- Open your paper either via …
Ghent University has a license for EndNote desktop and has access to Web of Science.
Cite While You Write
Web of Science data and links
EndNote basic users
Limited feature set
EndNote basic & Web of Science users