Comparison: EndNote and Mendeley
There are so many types of reference software out there that it's sometimes difficult to make an informed decision about which software fits your needs best. In this research tip, we explore two populair options: EndNote (Clarivate) and Mendeley (Elsevier).
What is reference software?
You use reference software to …Read more
EndNote: how can I add and delete references?
Once you have uploaded all your references into your EndNote library, you can delete duplicate references and add references manually. You can also edit them manually or automatically.
Read this tip to learn about importing references from databases.
Add a reference manually:
- Open Athena and EndNote.
- Click …
EndNote: how can I update or edit references?
To mannually edit a reference, simply select the reference and edit in the right-hand column.Edit manually
If you want to manually edit a reference, you:
- Open EndNote via Athena.
- Select the reference you want to edit.
- In the right-hand column, you can edit the reference.
- Click "Save" to save …
EndNote: how can you add PDFs?
Add PDFs atuomatically
- Open Athena and then EndNote 20.
- Select the references to which you want to add a PDF.
- Click "References" > "Find full text" > "Find full text".
- EndNote will now look for PDFs Ghent University has electronic access to and add them.
Add PDFs manually
- Open …
EndNote: how can you cite while you write?
Advantages of citing while you write
- You don't forget to cite sources.
- You put the footnotes in the right places.
- You save time looking for the right source after writing your article.
- You can automatically update references.
- You can adjust reference styles easily.
Insert a footnote
- Open Athena.
- Open …
EndNote: how can you import references?
You can import references into EndNote from many different databases. In the clips below, we explain how to import references from the four most commonly used ones: the library's catalogue, Web of Science, Scopus, and Google Scholar.
Web of Science
Google Scholar Read more
EndNote: how do you add information to a set of references?
It is possible to add the same (filled out) field to multiple references at the same time. This is a handy feature when you want to add the name of database your references come from or if you want to add tags like "read," "to read," etc.
Before you do …Read more
EndNote: how do you share your library?
You can share (parts of) your EndNote desktop library with up to 99 colleagues or peers.Back up your library
- First, you need to back up your library.
- Make an online EndNote account by registering here
- Use your UGent e-mail account so EndNote recognises …
EndNote: how to create a group?
You can create groups in EndNote to structure your citations. There are three different groups:
- a Group: you can add citations manually
- a Smart Group: citations are added automatically
- a Group Set: a cluster of (Smart) groups
If you want to create a group to which you can …Read more
EndNote: how to create a library
1. Open EndNote via Athena
If you've never used Athena on this device before, install the Citrix client: https://helpdesk.ugent.be/athena/en/ica.php
2. Click in EndNote on File > New
3. Save the library on your H:Drive, preferably in a separate folder
An .enl file and …Read more
EndNote: how to import multiple references from Web of Science
You can import up to 500 references at the same time from Web of Science into your EndNote library.
To do this, enter your search query > click "Export" > click "EndNote desktop"
You will see a pop-up where you can enter the amount of references you want to …Read more
EndNote: how to make a back up?
You can back up your EndNote library by making a Compressed Library.
When you incorporate your EndNote library (.enl file) and your associated data folder (.data file), you create a Compressed Library. It is a smaller file than the .enl file and .data file combined and can be easily stored …Read more
EndNote: how to personalise your reference fields
You can personalise the fields in EndNote in two different ways.Reference types
You can choose which reference type is your preferred default, e.g: Journal Article. You can also choose which fields a certain reference type needs.
- Open EndNote via Athena
- Click Edit > Preferences, click on the tab "Reference …
EndNote: what is a Traveling Library?
"Traveling Library" refers to the citations that are embedded in a Word document. You can:
- Send the Traveling Library to your publisher, alongside your manuscript
- Export the Traveling Library from a Word document of a colleague
- Go to Word via Athena
- Open your paper either via …
EndNote: what is your library's capacity?
Ghent University has a license for EndNote desktop and has access to Web of Science.